- Live and Let to Live
- It aims to create awareness among students of the club in bird watching and conservation of birds.
- Advancing and promoting avian health, welfare and conservation through education, science, advocacy and land stewardship.
|Dr. Sr. S. Jesurani||Principal & Chairman|
|Dr. Sr. S. Iruthaya Kalai Selvam||Co – ordinator|
|Mrs. P. Pushpa||Member|
|Ms. A. Anitha Mary||Member|
|S. No||YEAR||SEMINARS / CONFERENCES / PROGRAMMES
|1||2005 – 2006||Bird watching||19. 08. 2005||JAC Campus||16|
|Bird watching||20. 08. 2005||JAC Campus||18|
|Bird watching||26. 08. 2005||Beschi College campus,Dindigul||14|
|Bird watching||28. 08. 2005||Periyakulam and Pappiayanayakkan Patti pond||15|
|Bird watching||07. 12. 2005||Kohilapuram and Puthukulam pond, Kombai||15|
|Dr. Sr. T. Nirmala and five club members attended the First South Indian Bird Watcher’s Fair conducted by Palani Bird Watchers Society||03. 02. 2006 to
05. 02. 2006
|2||2006 – 2007||Bird watching||29.08.2006||Kohilapuram and Senkulam pond||16|
|Bird watching||20. 11. 2006||Udiyankulam and Senkulam pond||25|
|Bird watching||26. 01. 2007||Kumbakarai||11|
|3||2007 – 2008||Bird watching||06. 10. 2007||Kohilapuram, Vudayankulam, Markeyan Kottai pond||13,5, 7|
|4||2008 – 2009||Two members participated a seminar on “Biodiversity Conservation and Management”||14. 08. 2008||Hajee Karutha Rawther Howdia College, Uthamapalayam|
|11 members attended a workshop on “ Conservation and Management of Point Calimera Ramsar Site Past, Present and Future”||22. 02. 2009 &
23. 02. 2009
|7 members took survey on fauna population||25. 02. 2009||Megamalai and Velimalai Hills||12, 7 7, 5|
|T. Bala Pandeeswari, K. Kohila and C. Shobana presented paper on “Conservation of Birds in Theni District”||26. 02. 2009||Fatima College, Madurai|
|Celebration of Biocontanary of Darwin’s Evolution. Dr. Sr. T. Nirmala delivered a talk on “ Darwins Evolutionary Significance of Birds”||04. 03. 2009||JAC, Periyakulam|
|5||2009 – 2010||Bird watching||04. 03. 2010||JAC Campus|
|Competition on “Collection and display of feathers”.||06. 03. 2010||JAC, Periyakulam|
|6||2010 – 2011||Bird watching||22. 11. 2010||JAC Campus|
|Competitions – Paper presentation, Quize, Drawing, Rangoli & Art from Waste||13. 12. 2010 to
15. 12. 2010
|UG Lab of Zoology, JAC|
|Dr. Sr. T. Nirmala delivered a talk on “ Museum of Avifauna”||20. 01. 2011||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Bird watching||02. 02. 2011||JAC Campus|
|Bird watching||03. 02. 2011||JAC Campus|
|Bird watching||04. 02. 2011||JAC Campus|
|7||2011 – 2012||Film show on “Growing Emu”||16. 09. 2011||JAC, Periyakulam|
|3 members attended International Conference on “ Indian Ornithology Status of Indian Birds and their Conservation”||19. 11. 2011||SACON|
|Dr. Sr.T. Nirmala and 3 members participated in the Annual Bird Census||21. 01. 2012||Point Calimare Wildlife Sanctuary|
|Two days State Level Workshop on “Hands on Training in Avian Studies”||14. 02. 2012 &
15. 02. 2012
|3 members participated in the Annual Bird Census||03. 03. 2012 &
04. 03. 2012
|Point Calimare Wildlife Sanctuary|
|8||2012 – 2013||Participation in birds census Programme||06. 01. 2013 to
08. 03. 2013
|Forest & Environment Dept, Govt. of Odissa Chilika WL Division, Balugaon.|
|Identification of different species of birds||Periodical||JAC Campus|
|Bird watching||06. 03. 2013||Meenachipuram Pond|
|Bird watching||09.03. 2013||Meenachipuram & Kohilapuram Pond|
|9||2013 – 2014||Bird watching||07. 07. 2013||Meenachipuram Pond||18|
|Bird watching||19. 07. 2013, 22. 08. 2013, 22. 09. 2013, 17. 10. 2013,
15. 11. 2013,
15. 12. 2013,
19. 01. 2014,
22. 02. 2014
|Sothuparai reservoir in Theni District||23|
|Mrs. R. Medona Mary delivered a talk on “Threats of Birds”.||18. 07.2013||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Dr. Sr. Iruthaya Kalai Selvam gave a Guest Lecture on “ Economic Importance of Birds”||27. 01. 2014||JAC, Periyakulam|
|10||2014 – 2015||Four lectures “Bird Watching Tips for Beginner” by Dr. Sr. T. Nirmala
“Habitat conservation” by P. Pushpa
“Birds conservation” by Dr. C. Sahayarani
“Wet Land Birds Identification” by Dr. Sr. Iruthaya Kalai Selvam
|A documentary film on “Birds Conservation”||01. 10. 2014||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Celebration of St. Fransis Assisi (Patron of Avian club). A talk on Life History of St. Fransis Assisi (Patron of Avian club ),was deli vered by Dr. Sr. T. Nirmala||04. 10. 2015||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Bird watching||10. 08. 2015,
24. 08. 2015,
14. 09. 2015,
14. 12. 2015
|JAC, Periyakulam||16 19
|A talk on “Economic importance of Birds”, by Jannathul Firthous & Dhanalakshmi, Dept. of Zoology.||12. 02. 2016||JAC, Periyakulam|
|A guest lecture on “Feather Friends of Southuparai Reservoir”, by Mrs. Medona Mary.||8. 02. 2015||JAC, Periyakulam|
|12||2016 – 2017||
Talk on “Tips for Bird
Identification” by Mrs. Medona Mary
|24. 08. 2016||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Talk on “Wetland Birds Identification” by Dr. Sr. Iruthaya Kalai Selvam||27. 09. 2016||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Talk on “Economic importance of birds” by Ms. A. Anitha Mary||06. 10. 2016||JAC, Periyakulam|
|17. 02. 2017||Sothuparai dam|
|13||2017 – 2018||Lecture on “Tips for bird watching to the beginner” by Dr. Sr. T. Nirmala||13. 07. 2017||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Bird watching||21. 07. 2017||Periyakulam pond|
|A documentary film on “Birds Conservation”||28. 07. 2017||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Celebration of Patron of Avian club St. Francis Assisi||04. 08. 2018||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Bird watching||25. 10. 2017||Lakshmipuram pond|
|Lecture on “Economic importance of birds” by Ms A. Anitha Mary.||13. 12. 2017||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Bird watching||07. 01. 2018||Meenachipuram pond|
|Lecture on “Impact of abiotic factors on diversity of birds in Senkulam pond in Dindigul District” by Ms. Nazeeema||10. 01. 2018||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Talk on Bird Conservation by Dr. Sr. Iruthaya Kalai Selvam||15. 03. 2018||JAC, Periyakulam|
|14||2018 – 2019||Bird watching||20. 07. 2018||JAC Campus|
|Planted 11 saplings in St. Assisi Park.||27.07.2018.||JAC Campus|
|Bird watching||07. 08. 2018||JAC Campus|
|Lecture on “Tips for Birds watching” by Ms. A. Anitha Mary||28. 08. 2018||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Bird watching||30. 10. 2018||Lackshimipuram pond in Theni district|
|DVD on Birds Conservation||22.01.2019||JAC, Periyakulam|
|Lecture on “Birds conservation” by Mrs. P. Pushpa||12.02.2019||JAC, Periyakulam|
Academic Year 2019-2020
- Along with Miss A. Anitha Mary, Avian Club members (III B.Sc Zoology) watched Avi Fauna in JAC Campus on 10/07/2019 at 3 p.m. 19 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- Avian Club members sowed tomato and brinjal seeds at St. Assisi Park on July 2019.
- Along with A. Anitha Mary, Avian Club members I B.Sc. Zoology watched Avi Fauna in JAC Campus on 15/08/2019 at 5 pm. 15 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- Along with Mrs. I. Geetha and Miss A. Anitha Mary, Avian Club members I B.Sc. Zoology watched Avi Fauna in Lackshimipuram pond in Theni district on 30/08/2019 at 3.30pm. 14 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- Along with Mrs. I. Geetha, Miss A. Anitha Mary and Avian Club members III B.Sc. Zoology hostel students watched Avi Fauna in JAC Campus on 10/09/2019 at 3.30 pm. 12 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- Along with Mrs. Vinothini, Avian Club members I B.Sc Zoology (SF) watched Avi Fauna in thamarikulam pond in Theni district on 26/09/2019 at 3.30 pm. 12 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- Along with Miss A. Anitha Mary, Avian Club members I B.Sc Zoology (R) hostel students watched Avi Fauna in JAC campus on 09/10/2019 at 6.30 am. 11 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- Along with Mrs. Jemima Florence Borgia and Mrs. I. Geetha, Avian Club members I B.Sc Zoology (SF) hostel students watched Avi Fauna in JAC campus on 29/10/2019 at 3.30 pm. 12 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- Along with Miss A. Anitha Mary, Avian Club members III B.Sc Zoology (R) students watched Avi Fauna in JAC campus on 28/11/2019 at 6.30 am. 13 species of birds were identified and recorded.
2020 – 2021
- The first meeting was conducted on 07.01.2021through online. Selvi D. Divyabharathi elected as the secretary and selvi A. Blessinarose was elected as joint secretary by the Avian club members. 140 students enrolled as Avian club members.
- Spirulina cultivation programme was started in St. Assisi Park on 24/11/2020 organized by Avian Club along with PG and Research Centre of Zoology in the presence of Dr. Sr B.J Queensly Jeyanthi, Secretary Cum Mother Superior. This programme was presided over by Dr.Sr.Jesurani, Principal.
- Dr. Sr. Iruthya Kalai Selvam, Mrs. P. Pushpa and Dr. Geetha and the avian club members sowed 100 Palm (Tamil Nadu State Tree) seeds of on 12.1.2021. The palm seed increase the ground water level.
- Avian club along with PG and Research Centre of Zoology organized Spirulina cultivation programme at St. Francis Assisi park on 24. 11. 2020. This programme was started in the presence of Dr. Sr. B. J. Queensly Jeyanthi, Secretary cum Mother superior and presided over by Dr. Sr. Jesurani, Principal JA College.
- The first meeting was conducted on 07.01.2021 through online mode. Miss. D. Divyabharathi as secretary and Miss. A. Blessinarose were selected as joint secretary by the Avian club members.
- Sr. S. Iruthaya Kalai Selvam, Mrs. P. Pushpa and Dr. Mrs. I. Geetha and the Avian club members sowed 100 palm seeds in the Eastern yard of JAC campus on 12.01.2021.
- Avian club members along with Mrs. P. Pushpa and Dr. Mrs. I. Geetha watched birds twice in fortnight in our JAC campus.15, 16, 14 and 18 species of birds were identified and recorded on 12.02.2021, 18.02.2021, 04. 03.2021 and 12.03.2021 respectively during the academic year 2020 – 2021.
- Along with Mrs. P. Pushpa and Dr. Mrs. I. Geetha and Avian club members watched the Avi fauna at Periyakulam pond on 16. 03. 2021. 10 species of birds were identified and recorded.
- P. Nagapriya, M.Phil scholar of Zoology, delivered a guest lecture on “Different types of feed for birds” on 18.03.2021 at JA College.
- Various competitions such as Essay writing, Elocution, Drawing and Painting were conducted on 30.03.2021.
- Along with Ms. A. Anitha Mary, Assistant Professor of Zoology, avian club members watched the avi fauna in J.A.C. campus on 15. 09. 2021at 3.30 pm. 11 species of birds were identified and recorded.