The Central Library was established in
1971. It functions from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. to facilitate its optimal uses. It serves as the heart of the institution providing information and knowledge through diversified learning resources like Books, Journals, Magazines, Newspapers, Project Reports, Dissertations, Thesis, Non-book materials, Audio Cassettes, CDs, DVDs, online- resources, Internet, INFLIBNET NLIST- e journals and e-books. The library helps to update and widen the subject and general knowledge of the students, research scholars, staff and also Government officials, alumnae, industrialists and other officials who get permission from the Principal. The library is housed in a spacious building with proper lighting and ventilation and provides a calm and congenial atmosphere for concentrated reading and reference.
The library books are computerized and bar-coded. To monitor the day-to-day activity of the library, surveillance video cameras are fitted in the library. To provide job opportunities in the field of library science and to learn the services and arrangements of reading materials in the libraries, a Certificate Course in Library and Information Science is conducted for the betterment of the students. All the functions of the library are managed by a librarian and 10 assistant staff.
Vision & Mission
‘Read to Lead’ is the motto of the JAC Central Library. To fulfill the motto, the Library works with the following 7 objectives.
- Acquiring reading material to update subject knowledge
- Furnishing day-today information
- Rendering career information to seek employment
- Equipping with knowledge to clear competitive examination
- Disseminating information to improve communication skills
- Endowing resources to develop interpersonal relationship
- Facilitating the widening of general knowledge
BEST PRACTICES IN THE LIBRARY
- In the beginning of the academic year, orientation is given to the new comers.
- As and when new services are introduced, orientation is given to all the members.
- Open access system is followed to give free access to the readers.
- Current events and educational & employment opportunities are displayed on the notice board.
- To speed up all the services Central Library is computerized with NIRMALS software and books are bar-coded.
- New arrivals are periodically displayed.
- Library Association conducts seminars/conferences and many competitions to kindle reading habits.
- Library Advisory Committee provides guidance for the betterment and modernized services and facilities.
- Online reference facilities are given to all the readers.
- Theses & Dissertation of Staff & Students are also available for reference.
- Library serves the outsiders also, with the permission from the Principal.
- Certificate Course in Library and Information Science is being conducted since 2008.
- Readers can make use of the CD players to access the information through CDs.
- Economically weaker students can avail Book Bank facilities.
FACILITIES & SERVICES
The following facilities are provided in the library.
- Research cubicles
- INFLIBNET NLIST – e journals and e books
- E – Content for Certificate Course in Library and Information Science
- Videos on Book Review
- Book bank
- Question bank
- References on the text books, reference books, journals / magazines and project reports/ dissertations/thesis
- Non-Book Materials and Online Reference – Audio cassettes, CDs and DVDs, browsing through internet
- Rest room
All the students and staff of the College are members of the library. Each U.G. student is issued with two library cards, P.G. student with three library cards, M.Phil. student with four library cards and research scholar with five library cards to borrow books. Reference books, journals and periodicals are issued to the teachers. Staff can have maximum of 50 books from the library for their references. Staff are bound to return all the books at the end of the academic year. Besides the students and the staff of this college, government officials, alumnae and employees of institutions run by the sisters of St. Anne of Tiruchirappalli are allowed to refer and borrow books from the library with special permission from the Principal.
Rules and Regulations
- To facilitate the atmosphere for reading, readers should do their reference works silently
- Students have to return the books between 12:15 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. and borrow the books between 3:00 p.m and 5:00 p.m. on all working days.
- Students are strictly forbidden to either underline or mark on the library books. Folding the corners of pages is not allowed.
- Readers are advised to examine the condition of the book even at the time of borrowing. If there is any damage, it should be immediately brought to the notice of the librarian. Otherwise, the borrower will be held responsible for the damage.
- All the students must return their library cards to the library staff at the end of their programme. A student who discontinues her studies in the programme of the year should surrender her library cards and get a ‘no due chit’ from the librarian.
The Library Association promotes reading habit among the students by conducting various competitions and giving certificates to the winners. National Conferences, State Level Seminars and special lectures are also arranged for the students and staff to update their knowledge about the modern technology-based information services. Maximum use of the available reading materials is encouraged through programmes like ‘Book Review’ and ‘Journal Review’.
|Date||Name of the Activities|
|05.03.2010 & 06.03.2010||Two days National Conference on ‘Digital Vision – 2020’|
|09.08.2010 & 10.08.2010||Book Exhibition by book sellers in the college auditorium|
|21.09.2010 to 23.09.2010||Display of New Arrivals within the library premises|
|16.11.2012||One day programme for school children on ‘Reading Habit’|
|07.03.2013||State Level Workshop on ‘Preservation and Conservation of Reading Materials’|
|08.09.2014 to 12.09.2014||Display of New Arrivals within the library premises|
|10.10.2014 & 11.10.2014||Book Exhibition by book sellers in the college auditorium|
|09.08.2016 to 11.08.2016||Display of New Arrivals within the library premises|
|05.10.2016 & 06.10.2016||Book Exhibition by book sellers in the college auditorium|
|27.01.2016 & 28.01.2016||UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Ranking the Research Publications’|
|10.09.2018 & 11.09.2018||Book Exhibition by book sellers in the college auditorium|
|31.07.2017 to 02.08.2017||Display of New Arrivals within the library premises|
|04.10.2017 to 06.10.2017||Motivational Talk on ‘Reading Habit’ and Book Exhibition by book sellers in the college auditorium|
|16.01.2018||State Level Intercollegiate meet on ‘Enlightening the Young Minds’|
|16.08.2018 & 17.08.2018||Display of New Arrivals within the library premises|
|10.09.2018 & 11.09.2018||Ø A talk on ‘ A good book is a good friend’
Ø Debate on ‘Books develop Personality or Knowledge
Ø Book Exhibition by Book Sellers in the college auditorium
|16.02.2019||Intercollegiate Quiz Contest|
|16.09.2019 & 17.09.2019||Book Exhibition by book sellers in the college auditorium|
|06.02.2020||Talk on ‘Developing Pleasing Personality through Reading Habit’|
|07.02.2020||Kindling Reading Habit through ‘Book Review’|
|10.02.2020||Awareness Talk on ‘Using E-Resources for Research’|
|11.02.2020||Quiz and Debate – Competition.|
|03.06.2020||Webinar on ‘Triage Crisis & Universal Remedy – Covid 19, A Perspective’|
|01.06.2020 & 02.06.2020||WEBINAR on ‘Free Statistical Tool for Research Data Analysis and Research Publication with Special Reference to Citation, Impact Factor and h Index’|
|16.03.2021||E-Quiz on General Knowledge|
|18.3.2021||Webinar on ‘Creation of Academic Accounts’|
|29.9.2021||Webinar on ‘Read & Lead’ was conducted. Rev. Fr. A. Kingsley, Vice-Principal, Loyolo College, Mettala, Salem, Tamildau, was the resource person.|
|10.1.2022||Conducted a Workshop on ‘Design and Development of Digital Library using DSpace’. Dr. N. Suresh, Librarian, Government Law College, Trichy served as a resource person.|
|7.2.2022||Library arranged a Book Exhibition in the Indoor Auditorium of JAC. Eight book sellers from Chennai, Dindugal, Madurai, Sivagasi, Virudhunagar, Thirunelveli and Theni exhibited their books for sales.|
|4.4.2022||Library conducted a debate on the topic ‘சிறந்த தலைமைப்பண்பு உள்ளவர்கள் ஆண்களா? பெண்களா?’in the Central Library|
|5.4.2022||A speech competition was conducted by the library association on the topic ‘பெண்ணின் முன்னேற்றத்திற்கு உதவக்;கூடியவைகள் தடையாய் இருப்பவைகள;’in the Central Library. Dr. Sr. R. Fatima Mary Sylvia, Librarian was the chairperson of the competition.|
|20.10.2022 & 21.10.2022||Library arranged a Book Exhibition in the Indoor Auditorium. Eight book sellers displayed their books in the Book Exhibition.|
|6.3.2023||Conducted essay competition on ‘Ways for Successful Life of Women’|
|7.3.2023||‘Word Power’ competition was conducted from Readers’ Digest magazines|
|8.3.2023||‘Quiz’ competition was conducted by the library from ‘The Hindu’ Newspaper in English and Tamil|
|10.3.2023||‘Debate’ competition was conducted by the library on the topic ‘Character or Knowledge which has to be developed by the Youth in the current scenario’|
Member of the Library Committee
- Dr. Sr. S. Jesurani (Principal) – Chairman
- Dr. Sr. R. Fatima Mary Sylvia (Librarian) – Secretary
- Mrs. J. Sharmila – Assistant Professor in English
- Dr. Mrs.B. Amala Jasmine, – Assistant Professor in Mathematics
Youtube Link for all book reviews
Separate youtube link for each BOOK REVIEWS
ZYBER Crime awareness book, Muthuvum 30 Thirudargalum https://youtu.be/MhJOvmYUGVg
Thirukkural 391, Karpom kasadu aruppom https://youtu.be/FWOrjmKpd7E
Menmaikkana Vazhikatti https://youtu.be/LiC5bfIsPFw
Emotional Intelligence https://youtu.be/fkBdT4B3BQE
Thuninthavanukke Vetri – Dare to Win https://youtu.be/7t4NVMEYN7M
Ways for Happy Life – Mahilsi Perum Vazhigal https://youtu.be/Z6p3htg8XKA